Foster amazing conversations between grandkids and grandparents with this epic list of grandparent interview questions for kids!
My kids have been privileged to have strong relationships with grandparents and great-grandparents. But after the death of my grandfather (my child’s great-granddad), I realized that I didn’t know much about his life before me! And grandparents have lost an entire year of their grandchildren’s lives thanks to COVID, so I decided we need to start asking questions.
I’ve pulled together great interview questions for grandkids to ask their elders. It’s a great opportunity for grade schoolers (and perhaps older kids) to practice conversation skills and learn a little about history!
Pro Tip: Consider recording the conversation so your kids will have a permanent record of their grandparent interview questions!
- When and where were you born?
- Have you lived in any other places?
- How did your parents choose your name?
- What were the names of all your close family members?
- Did you have any nicknames?
- Did you have any pets?
- What kind of neighborhood did you grow up in?
- Can you describe your childhood home?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Were you in the military? What’s your most vivid memory from your service?
- What was your first job?
- Tell me about all the jobs you’ve had.
- What was your favorite food as a kid?
- What was your least favorite food?
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- What was your favorite job?
- What’s been your favorite age?
- Where’s your favorite place to travel to?
- What’s your favorite movie of all time?
Who is your favorite TV character?
- What’s the best song, ever?
- What’s your earliest memory?
- What did you do during the holidays? Any special traditions?
- What was your favorite holiday growing up?
- Did you play games with your family growing up?
- Who were your favorite relatives?
- Did you have any family vacations?
- Did you get an allowance growing up? What did you spend it on?
- What were your grandparents like?
- How did you meet your spouse?
- How did you get engaged?
- What’s the best date you and your spouse had?
- What do you remember about your wedding day?
- How did you choose your kids’ names?
- What was the toughest part of parenting for you?
- What’s the worst thing your kids ever did?
Questions About Me & You
- Tell me about the day that you and I first met.
- What’s your favorite memory of us together?
- What things do you wish we could do together now?
- What’s one thing you want me to remember about you forever?
- What’s your favorite thing about being a grandparent?
- How many kids were in your school?
- What year did you graduate high school?
- Did you take shop or home-ec? What did you learn?
- What was your best subject in school?
- Did you get straight As?
- What was your least favorite subject in school?
- Did you ever get sent to the principal’s office?
- Who were your best friends in school?
- What did you do after high school?
- What do you remember about your favorite teacher?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- How many friends did you hang out with regularly?
- Did you spend time at your friends’ houses, or did your friends come to your house?
- What did you and your friends do on weekends?
- Did you and your friends get into any trouble?
- Do you have any life-long friends?
- What was the price of a loaf of bread when you were a child?
- How much did you pay for your first house (or rent)?
- How much did you pay for your first car?
- Who was the first president you voted for?
- What was the most popular dance during your childhood?
- Who was the most famous movie star during your childhood?
- What’s the most historically significant thing that happened in your life?
- Have you participated in any controversial events?
- What are the most significant laws that have been changed during your lifetime?
Fun (or Funny) Questions
- What’s your favorite season?
- Would you rather play in the snow or the sand as a child?
- What’s the best skill you’ve ever learned?
- If you could have one superpower what would it be?
- Who’s the meanest person you’ve ever met?
- What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
- What was your favorite cartoon or comic strip?
- What’s one pet you always wanted to have?
- What’s one place you’ve always wanted to travel to?
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- Are there any big choices you would change if you could?
- What do you think is the key to happiness?
- What’s the easiest way you’ve found to keep your cool in tough situations?
- What’s your dream for your grandchildren?
- What are the biggest differences between your childhood and our childhood today?