Last Updated on August 22, 2021.
Foster amazing conversations between grandkids and grandparents with this epic list of grandparent interview questions for kids!
My kids have been privileged to have strong relationships with grandparents and great-grandparents. But after the death of my grandfather (my child’s great-granddad), I realized that I didn’t know much about his life before me! And grandparents have lost an entire year of their grandchildren’s lives thanks to COVID, so I decided we need to start asking questions.
I’ve pulled together great interview questions for grandkids to ask their elders. It’s a great opportunity for grade schoolers (and perhaps older kids) to practice conversation skills and learn a little about history!
Pro Tip: Consider recording the conversation so your kids will have a permanent record of their grandparent interview questions!
- When and where were you born?
- Have you lived in any other places?
- How did your parents choose your name?
- What were the names of all your close family members?
- Did you have any nicknames?
- Did you have any pets?
- What kind of neighborhood did you grow up in?
- Can you describe your childhood home?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Were you in the military? What’s your most vivid memory from your service?
- What was your first job?
- Tell me about all the jobs you’ve had.
- What was your favorite food as a kid?
- What was your least favorite food?
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- What was your favorite job?
- What’s been your favorite age?
- Where’s your favorite place to travel to?
- What’s your favorite movie of all time?
Who is your favorite TV character?
- What’s the best song, ever?
- What’s your earliest memory?
- What did you do during the holidays? Any special traditions?
- What was your favorite holiday growing up?
- Did you play games with your family growing up?
- Who were your favorite relatives?
- Did you have any family vacations?
- Did you get an allowance growing up? What did you spend it on?
- What were your grandparents like?
- How did you meet your spouse?
- How did you get engaged?
- What’s the best date you and your spouse had?
- What do you remember about your wedding day?
- How did you choose your kids’ names?
- What was the toughest part of parenting for you?
- What’s the worst thing your kids ever did?
Questions About Me & You
- Tell me about the day that you and I first met.
- What’s your favorite memory of us together?
- What things do you wish we could do together now?
- What’s one thing you want me to remember about you forever?
- What’s your favorite thing about being a grandparent?
- How many kids were in your school?
- What year did you graduate high school?
- Did you take shop or home-ec? What did you learn?
- What was your best subject in school?
- Did you get straight As?
- What was your least favorite subject in school?
- Did you ever get sent to the principal’s office?
- Who were your best friends in school?
- What did you do after high school?
- What do you remember about your favorite teacher?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- How many friends did you hang out with regularly?
- Did you spend time at your friends’ houses, or did your friends come to your house?
- What did you and your friends do on weekends?
- Did you and your friends get into any trouble?
- Do you have any life-long friends?
- What was the price of a loaf of bread when you were a child?
- How much did you pay for your first house (or rent)?
- How much did you pay for your first car?
- Who was the first president you voted for?
- What was the most popular dance during your childhood?
- Who was the most famous movie star during your childhood?
- What’s the most historically significant thing that happened in your life?
- Have you participated in any controversial events?
- What are the most significant laws that have been changed during your lifetime?
Fun (or Funny) Questions
- What’s your favorite season?
- Would you rather play in the snow or the sand as a child?
- What’s the best skill you’ve ever learned?
- If you could have one superpower what would it be?
- Who’s the meanest person you’ve ever met?
- What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
- What was your favorite cartoon or comic strip?
- What’s one pet you always wanted to have?
- What’s one place you’ve always wanted to travel to?
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- Are there any big choices you would change if you could?
- What do you think is the key to happiness?
- What’s the easiest way you’ve found to keep your cool in tough situations?
- What’s your dream for your grandchildren?
- What are the biggest differences between your childhood and our childhood today?