Last Updated on September 11, 2021.
Kids are our future. Positive phrases can be the difference between a happy child and an unhappy one. Positive phrases will help build up your kid’s self-esteem, making them feel more confident in themselves. Below are 151 positive phrases that will make any child smile from ear to ear!
Why Should We Use Positive Phrases with kids?
Positive emotions broaden people’s thought-action repertoires and build personal resources. Positive phrases can help kids feel more confident, leading to better behavior.
When kids hear positive phrases, they are more likely to do well in school and have more friends. Positive phrases also help boost children’s empathy and healthy social skills by teaching kids about kindness, sharing, taking turns, and other caring behaviors. Positive words can also help with stress, anxiety, and depression.
Tips on Using Positive Phrases
- Focus on effort instead of outcome
- Avoid labels when possible
- A great strategy is to say what you see
- Limit praise
151 Positive Phrases to Use with Kids
Positive Phrases to Encourage a Growth Mindset
- You can’t do it, YET!
- I love watching your mind and body grow
- Hard work leads to success.
- Build your brain’s muscles by working hard!
- You learn from your mistakes.
- Thinking is like giving your brain a workout.
- The harder you try, the smarter you become.
- Never give up!
- You are so hard-working!
- Everyone makes mistakes.
- Failure = learning
- Mistakes make your brain bigger.
- I love how hard you’re working!
- Great effort!
- I can tell you tried your best on this.
- When the work gets hard, you start learning.
- When the work gets hard, your brain gets smarter.
- Failure makes you smarter.
- You can do anything when you work hard.
- Effort is an exercise for your brain.
- If it’s not hard, it’s not helping you learn.
- I love how you didn’t give up, even when the work was difficult.
- Great job being persistent!
- If it’s too easy, you’re not learning.
- People aren’t smart or not smart; people work hard or don’t work hard.
- The more you use your brain, the smarter it gets.
- I’m so proud of how you worked through that challenge!
- Work hard, be successful.
- You can learn anything as long as you put in the effort.
- You can do anything!
Positive Phrases to Express Unconditional Love
- You make me smile
- You make me happy
- I think about you ALL the time
- Your choices matter
- I believe in you
- You mean the world to me
- I love being with you
- You are so special!
- You are unique!
- My world is better with you in it
- You’re a thoughtful kid
- Your laugh is one of the best things about you
- You can be a great leader
- I love when we spend time together.
- You are so bright!
- You can tell me anything
- I will love you no matter what
- I am so proud of you
- Tell me about what you are doing
- I am proud of the person you are growing into
- You are kind
- I’m glad you’re here
- You are beautiful!
- Your honesty makes me so proud
- I know you will do GREAT things
- You have a kind heart
- I’m grateful for you
- I will always be here
- The world needs you
- I need you!
- You are my sunshine
- You are amazing!
Positive Phrases for Anxious Kids
- This feeling will pass
- Your feelings are like a tunnel. Let’s keep going until we get through it.
- It’s okay to feel scared, it’s okay to feel sad, and it’s okay to feel angry too
- Everyone worries sometimes
- Everyone feels upset sometimes
- Let’s focus on what we can control
- Trust your instincts
- Sometimes it helps to talk about your worries. I’m here if you need me.
- Nobody is perfect, and that is ok
- You are more than your emotions
- What you are feeling is normal
- Work towards solving problems
- Don’t think too much
- Worrying is healthy.
- Go play!
- Have fun!
- It’s ok to be afraid
- In time, you will feel better
- Enjoy the moment!
- Don’t worry, be happy
- I’m here for you.
- Let your mind settle, like the sand in the ocean
Positive Phrases to Encourage Effort
- Not giving up is one of your best traits
- Participation and effort are more important than winning
- Don’t give up, and start what you finish
- You get an A for effort!
- The view from the top is spectacular
- There are no losers
- You can ask for help
- Keep trying!
- You should be proud
- Soon you’ll be a master!
- If you believe it, you can achieve it
- Your mistakes are chances to learn
- Reach for the stars
- You are unstoppable
- Challenges make you stronger
- Make an effort, NOT an excuse
- Follow your dreams
- It’s ok to take a break and come back to it
- I love seeing you work hard
- You can always try again
- You don’t always need to win
- Think before you act
Positive Phrases for Kids Having a Hard Time
- You will get through this
- You have a kind heart, so always be kind, no matter what.
- Not all days are bad
- It’s ok to feel sad
- Stay positive, keep dreaming
- Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re going to get
- You are beautiful inside and out.
- I’m here to talk if you need it
- You are strong
- Get back up!
- You are brave
- You are more than this challenge
- Pause, breathe, everything will be okay
- I believe in you.
- This is not the end.
- You got this!
- Maybe a snack will help you feel better
- You can’t always make everyone happy
- Focus on the positive
- You will feel better after you get some rest
- Everyone has bad days
- Tell me something that made you smile today
- The sun will come out tomorrow
- Always help those who need it
- Be honest, even if you make a mistake!
Positive Phrases to Build Confidence in Kids (20)
- I see you working really hard
- I appreciate you
- Thanks for being a great helper
- You are one smart cookie
- There is only one you, so be yourself
- You can say no!
- I hope you’re proud of yourself!
- You are learning
- I’m glad you’re on my team!
- You are growing
- You can achieve anything
- I’m proud of you
- I believe in you
- Can you help me with this?
- You have great ideas
- I am curious, what do you think?
- You’re such a great family member.
- Let’s try it your way.
- You are a great kid
- You don’t always need to follow the crowd
The Bottom Line
Using positive phrases with kids is important! Boost their self-confidence through positive phrases, and you’ll be amazed at the results. Positive words will also help to build a long-lasting relationship with your child. Positive phrases have many benefits for children so they can grow up feeling confident in themselves!
What You Should Do Next…
Are you ready for more activities to build a rock-solid bond with your kids? Try our Connected Parent Challenge! It’s 15 Days of 15 Minute activities that are sure to improve your connection, diminish bad behavior, and create lasting memories. Plus, I’ll deliver more amazing parenting strategies to your inbox weekly (don’t worry, unsubscribe any time!).
Connect with like-minded moms (and dads!) in our free online community. You’ll find a plethora of resources to help you through your parenting challenges. Plus, you’ll find me there! And I’d love to connect.
Do you need actionable strategies right now? Register for this free 60-minute webinar titled How to Get Kids to Listen, Without Nagging, Yelling or Losing Control. You’ll walk away with parent-tested tactics to get your kids to listen starting today.