Last Updated on March 9, 2021.
Sometimes it feels impossible to get your kids to talk to you. You only get one word answers like “fine” or “great.” One of the key components of Positive Parenting is to connect with your kids. So here’s an epic list of questions to ask kids that they will actually want to answer!
Want a printable list? Get it here!
Questions to Ask Kids About School
- Who is your favorite teacher this year? (Thanks to whatmommydoes.com!)
- Any big news at school today?
- What is a skill you want to learn within the next 5 years? (Thanks to hessunacademy.com)
- What’s the biggest difference between this year and last year?
- What could your school do better to help students?
- Who’s the best dressed teacher?
- What class do you wish your school offered?
- Which teacher has the best classroom?
- If you were the teacher, what rules would you make? (thanks to adailydoseofmom.com!)
- Do you think math is too hard?
- Is there any work you didn’t finish at school today?
- Who is making school hard for you?
- What teacher do you learn the most from?
- Do you think science is too easy?
- What’s one thing that needs to be updated at school?
Questions to Ask Kids About Their Day
- What was your favorite part of today? (Thanks to mominthesix.com!)
- Did you teach anyone something new today?
- What was the silliest thing that happened today? (Thanks to Team-Cartwright.com!)
- What was the worst thing you had to read at school today?
- What’s one thing you’d change about today?
- Tell me your proudest moment today.
- Describe what a perfect day with me would look like. (Thanks to amandaseghetti.com!)
- Did anyone get in trouble today?
- What was the best minute of your day today? (Thanks to dressesanddinosaurs.com!)
Questions About Health and Safety
- What was the one thing you worried about today?
- Are there any issues I can help you solve?
- What’s the most dangerous thing you and your friends do?
- What would you do if you made the rules at home? (Thanks to frommammawithlove.com)
- Did anything make you feel unsafe today?
- What’s your favorite thing to do online?
- Are there any rules you think are unfair?
- Has anyone ever made you upset or uncomfortable online?
Questions About Friends
- Who did you sit next to at lunch today? What did y’all talk about? (Thanks to familyfocusblog.com)
- Did any of your classmates tell any funny jokes today?
- Who’s birthday is up next?
- Did any of your friends fight today?
- Is there anyone at school you want to know better?
- Did you give any high fives today?
- Which friend do you like talking to best?
Questions About Family
- If you could trade places with your parents for a day, what would you do differently? (Thanks to lovinghomeschool.com!)
- Who’s tougher on you, mom or dad? Why?
- Who is the funniest person in your family?
- Which family event or holiday is your favorite?
- What can you do to cooperate with your siblings better?
- What do you think you’ll do with your kids when you’re a parent? (Thanks to dancingthroughtherain.com!)
- Are there things you wish your siblings would do differently?
- When you grow up, what does your dream family look like?
Questions About Themselves
- What 3 words do you think describe you best? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
- What’s your proudest accomplishment?
- If you were one of your toys, which one would you want to be and why? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
- What kind of book is your favorite to read for fun?
- What do you want to do when you’re done with school?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
- How do you feel about tattoos?
- What’s your dream car?
- Do you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert?
- Is it better to stay up late or get up early? Why?
- If you were a character on one of your favorite shows or movies, who would you be and why? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
- What can I do to make you feel appreciated?
- What’s your favorite kind of music?
- What’s your favorite family tradition?
- Is there anything I do that is embarrassing for you?
- What’s one thing you would change about our home?
Questions About Food
- What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten? (Thanks to whatmommydoes.com!)
- What’s one thing you want to learn how to cook?
- If you could go to any country in the world just for the food, which country would you pick and what dish would you want to try first? (Thanks to crockpotladies.com!)
- Do any of your friends bring food to school that you’d like to try?
- What’s the grossest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What’s one vegetable you never want to eat again?
- What’s your favorite meal that I make? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
- If you could create a new ice cream flavor, what would it be? (Thanks to compstonkitchen.com!)
- What’s the best thing you ate today? (www.allshecooks.com)
- Say you only got to eat the same meal for the rest of your life, what would you eat? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
Questions to Ask Kids About Animals
- If you could explore the world with a dog as your travel buddy, what type of dog would you pick? (Thanks to wanderschool.com!)
- If your dog could talk, what would he sound like?
- How do you think animals communicate?
- If you could spend a day as an animal, what animal would you pick?
- If you had a pet dragon, what name would you pick?
- What animal would make the best driver?
- If you could have an exotic pet, what would you pick?
- Which animal makes the coolest sounds?
- If we could get a dog of any color, which color would you get?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? (Thanks to cenduparam.com!)
Questions That Foster Kindness
- What did you do that was kind today? (Thanks to Team-Cartwright.com!)
- Did you make anyone laugh today?
- What’s the best thing to do when you see someone being treated poorly?
- What did you do that made someone smile today? (Thanks to thediynuts.com!)
- What three things were you grateful for today?
Did you notice anyone feeling down today? How did you help them?
- Who is the kindest person you know? Why? (Thanks to thesaltymamas.com!)
- Did you notice anyone new today? What’s their name?
- What’s the best way to show a bully kindness?
- If a new kid comes to school, how can you show them kindness? (Thanks to coffeeandcarpool.com!)
→ Want more ways to inspire kindness in your kids? Check out this list of more kindness questions from Coffee and Carpool.
Super Fun Questions to Ask Kids
- If we won the lottery, what would you do and where would you go? (Thanks to newportlaneblog.com!)
- What did you dream about last night?
- What’s the silliest way to laugh?
- What is something you really want to learn how to do? (Thanks to modernhipstermama.com!)
- If you could create your own planet, what would you put on it? (Thanks to savingtalents.com!)
- If you could be any book character, who would it be and why? (thanks to twilighters.org!)
- What’s your favorite season and why? (Thanks to evidence-basedmommy.com)
- What do you and your stuffed animals or imaginary friend talk about? (Thanks to frommammawithlove.com)
- Who gives the best hugs? Why?
- Where would you want to go on our next vacation? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
- If you could meet one person throughout any point in history, who would you want to meet and why? (Thanks to wholesomefamilyliving.com!)
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? (Thanks to norfolklocalguide.co.uk!)
- How do you think the world will be different when you’re an adult?
- What’s one thing you hope to change in the world when you’re an adult?
- Would you rather have super strength or super speed? (Thanks to mombrite.com)
→ Want more ‘Would you rather” questions? Check out this amazing list from mombrite.com