Last Updated on September 2, 2021.
Do you feel like self-care has become an afterthought? Do you find yourself forgetting to take care of yourself as often as you would like? If so, then this blog post is for you! Let’s discuss the basics of self-care, why you need a self-care checklist, and how to start practicing it in a way that works well for YOU.
What is Self Care?
Self Care is self-preservation. In order to take care of others in our lives, we need to make sure that WE are taken care of too!
One of the biggest misconceptions about self-care is that it involves days at the spa, lavish vacations, and expensive self-care routines. The truth is that self-care can come in all shapes and sizes.
Self-care is about understanding your mind and body and finding ways to recharge and self-soothe. It’s about setting boundaries, honoring yourself, and caring for your well-being without feeling guilty or self-conscious.
The Bare Minimum
Self-care will look different for everyone. For some people, self-care will include luxuries like foot massages and manicures. For others, it might be more basic, like reading a book or meditating. But everyone needs to find ways to meet the bare minimum needs of their mind and body.
- Food is fuel for your body. Feed it high-quality, whole foods and keep toxic, bad foods to a minimum.
- Water is essential for self-care. It helps flush out toxins, regulates blood pressure, and keeps your immune system strong.
- Hygiene can impact self-care in a huge way. Wash your hands regularly, showering, and brushing your teeth should be a part of your self-care routine.
- Movement is great for your body (and also your mind), especially if you get outside. You’ll notice self-care benefits like increased happiness and self-confidence.
- Body cues are often overlooked, but an important part of self-care. Are you tired? Do your legs hurt from standing all day? Do you have a headache from too much screen time? Listen to your body and do what it needs you to do.
- Mental Health is the primary thing that comes to mind when people think about self-care. You can take care of your mental health by finding time for self-reflection and self-acceptance. Try practicing self-love affirmations.
- Emotional Health is equally important. Take care of your emotional health by expressing your feelings, managing stress, and connecting with others.
- Spiritual Health is important as well. Not to be confused with religion, spirituality is about finding meaning and purpose. You can practice spiritual health by meditating, traveling, journaling, or exploring a religion.
Why is self-care important?
Self-care isn’t just a nice thing to do; it’s essential for everyone’s mental health – especially when we’re faced with stressors like work deadlines, family responsibilities, and financial commitments. When self-care is neglected, it can lead to many problems including anxiety, depression, burnout, and even addiction.
Studies have shown that self-care is linked to increased energy, creativity, and self-esteem. When we practice self-care, we’re able to perform at higher levels and feel more self-respect. Everyone benefits when we take care of ourselves.
Where to start with your own self-care
Self-care can seem daunting at first, but it’s not as hard or expensive as you may think. You don’t have to spend a lot of money – self-care is about making time for what matters most in your life. The best
A Customizable Self Care Checklist
Self care is different for everyone. That’s why you need your own custom self care checklist! Create a short checklist of the things your body and mind need on a daily and weekly basis. Below are some ideas to get you started!
- daily journaling
- reading a book or magazine
- dancing to your favorite song
- spending time with friends or family
- getting outside for fresh air and sunshine
- keeping a gratitude journal
- reading self-care blogs like this one!
- listening to soothing music or podcasts. You can also make self-care playlists of your favorite songs.
- watching your favorite TV show
- getting outside for some fresh air and sunshine
- setting boundaries with others
- taking a nap
- spending time in nature
- listening to your favorite music
- writing self-love affirmations on post-it notes and sticking them around the house or workspace.
Self Care Tips & Tricks
- Schedule it. Get it on a calendar where everyone can see that you’ll be unavailable.
- Create a routine so self-care becomes a habit.
- Make self-care a priority. You deserve the time and attention you need.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself when self-care doesn’t go as planned or feels impossible to maintain – that’s life! Just keep trying
- Find self-care support. Online communities are a great way to get feedback, advice, and encouragement.
- Create your own self-care plan.
What You Should Do Next…
Are you ready for more activities to build a rock-solid bond with your kids? Try our Connected Parent Challenge! It’s 15 Days of 15 Minute activities that are sure to improve your connection, diminish bad behavior, and create lasting memories. Plus, I’ll deliver more amazing parenting strategies to your inbox weekly (don’t worry, unsubscribe any time!).
Connect with like-minded moms (and dads!) in our free online community. You’ll find a plethora of resources to help you through your parenting challenges. Plus, you’ll find me there! And I’d love to connect.
Do you need actionable strategies right now? Register for this free 60-minute webinar titled How to Get Kids to Listen, Without Nagging, Yelling or Losing Control. You’ll walk away with parent-tested tactics to get your kids to listen starting today.